Avant-garde Materials Simulation is the world-leading provider of software for organic Crystal Structure Prediction (CSP). We have successfully competed in the last three CSP blind tests and intend to pioneer other areas of predictive materials modelling. We rapidly deploy new technology to some of the leading pharmaceutical companies. We put the principles of sustainable development into practice and offer an industrial working environment with an academic touch. We are a multi-cultural team that develops software for a global market.
Our offices are located in Freiburg, Germany, on the border of the Black Forest. The city has a rich student life with a variety of places to chill-out and to have a good time. The residential areas offer green, calm neighbourhoods that are ideal for families with children and healthy lifestyles. Close to France and Switzerland, the Black Forest is one of Germany´s most touristic regions known for the beauty of its lakes and landscapes. In winter the region offers good opportunities for alpine and cross-country skiing.
As (Senior) Application Scientist you will participate in the improvement of AMS´GRACE software for crystal structure prediction. You will be in charge of performing contract research projects and of installing and supporting of our software at customer‘ s sites. Our predictions rely heavily on dispersion-corrected DFT calculations.
The position is permanent. You will report to Dr. Marcus Neumann, the founder and director of Avant-garde Materials Simulation.
You will regularly:
• Assist software developers by running validation studies
• Explore applications of GRACE to industrial problems
• Write scientific papers in English
• Run contract research studies and write reports in English
• Provide support to customers and GRACE users worldwide
• Remotely carry out software installation and user-training
• Prepare GRACE tutorials and workshops
• Present GRACE at commercial exhibitions and scientific conferences
• PhD in solid-state physics, solid-state chemistry or crystallography, or a related science
• Previous experience with crystal structure prediction, or a very strong molecular modelling
• High performance computing experience, and familiarity with various crystallographic and
molecular modelling software tools
• Good understanding of Crystallography
• BASH shell scripting
• Compilation of C++ and FORTRAN Codes under Linux
• You are fluent in written and spoken English
• Basic German speaking skills would be a plus
• You are committed to reduce the carbon footprint at work and care about Ethics in Business
• You have to enjoy helping customers to solve their scientific and technical problems
• Intercultural awareness: our customers and teams come from all over the world. Thus it
is important to be able to adapt to different mentalities and cultural contexts
• You easily connect to people and maintain relationships
• You can both conduct complex projects independently and communicate well within a small
• Ability to act in the interest of the company: loyalty and dedication
• Can-do attitude
• You are rigorous, precise and solution-oriented
We are a small family business with short communication paths. The impact of your work is immediately visible and directly supports other team members. We aim to provide a professional environment in which people from all over the world at different stages of their lives can find the work-life balance that suits them. Because we care about our employees, our customers´needs, scientific progress and the planet, working at AMS does have a meaning.
• Flexible work time management around core hours
• Part-time work for some of the positions
• Training for job specific topics as well as to grow your own potential
• yearly: 25 days paid leave + about 10 days public holidays
• Equal opportunity policy
• Help with settling in
AMS is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disabilities, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.
• What matters most to us, beyond your skills and experience, is your mindset. Tell us more about your soft skills in your cover letter!
• Please fill in our Application Form, we take security very seriously and never open attachments from unknown sources. Let us know which position you are applying for: first copy and paste the job title into the field Letter of motivation, and then write the cover letter addressed to our HR and Communication Manager. Please indicate your earliest availability.
• We will first collect applications until mid November, and then start to give you feedback via Email.
• Upon successful completion of a Skype interview, you will be invited to Freiburg for a series of interviews and tests with AMS staff.