Administration & Human Resources Director Assistant (m/w/d)
Do you enjoy working in a multifaceted legal, human and technical environment?
Be the key to an efficient coordination of the Administration and HR department!
We have pioneered and become the world-leader of organic Crystal Structure Prediction. With our pharmaceutical industry customers and staff from all around the world, we are inventing the next generation of software tools for in silico materials design.
The position is full time and bilingual: English, German. You will report to M.A Elsa Gheziel, CEO, Director of Human Resources, Administration and Communication at Avant-garde Materials Simulation Deutschland GmbH.
Your main mission is to take over hands-on tasks from E. Gheziel, related to 4 mains areas:
- invoicing and payments monitoring;
- coordination and supervision of the daily operations in the Administration and HR Department;
- administration related to EU/Bund subsidised projects;
- legal: review and report on internal and external documents, policies and procedures.
You thus play a key role in enabling the CEO to focus on the organisational streamlining of Recruitment and Human Resources, formalisation of procedures, and on Business Strategy.
After one year, your contract becomes permanent, if you have been successful in taking over the coordination of the department and the formalisation of procedures. You then take over more responsibilities related to invoicing, as well as compliance projects in relation to all of AMS workflows, policies and regulations. As a junior compliance officer, you will report to the HR and Science CEOs in regular intervals, provide up-to-date analysis to support their strategic vision, and ensure implementation and adoption over the different departments.
Invoicing and payments monitoring
- Follow up from quote over PO, to invoicing: provide all necessary documents to customers as required, get information from customers to enable invoicing.
- On-board and manage AMS ´accounts on international customers invoicing platforms: follow-up on technical/administrative issues related to POs and invoicing on-line.
- Confirm POs, inform management and initialize work at the concerned department.
- Write invoices for customers, up-date and maintain customers data base in our ERP (Odoo).
- Payments follow up: report to CEO every two months on pending payments.
- Our accountant: clarify invoicing positions, help preparing the yearly statement, clarify credit notes for license fees.
Supervision and coordination of daily operations for the CEO
- In agreement with the Director follow-up and report on progress of ongoing assignments to other employees from the Administration Department, including but not limited to:
- office management: material, inventories, purchases, etc…
- on-boarding: IT and administration monitoring;
- archiving and classification of documents;
- events deadlines;
- IT issues solving and management of dedicated applications and hardware for the Admin Department.
- Coordination of tasks with the secretary of the CEO, ensuring there is clear understanding of the tasks, deadlines and areas of responsibility.
Administrative coordination of EU/BUND projects
- Supervision of all deadlines and tasks dispatching.
- Prepare quarterly and yearly financial documents, both in German and English language.
- Coordinate and monitor the preparation, consolidation and submission to EU, Academics and Government agencies of technical and financial reports and audits in English and German.
- Gather information from different platforms and partners, inform management on progress.
Legal external support: contracts and assignments
- Follow up and risk analysis of legal aspects on Services, License Agreements, Contracts in English: summarize for management to decide + get in touch with legal departments to eventually negotiate with them before we sign.
- Compare customer contracts and insurance coverage.
- Trade mark and IP related deposit and follow up with external legal partners.
- Follow-up on current assignments with Lawyers.
Legal internal support: policies and workflows
- Describe existing workflows via steps in Odoo to document knowhow.
- Review existing policies: GDPR, HR, COVID and keep them up-to-date.
- Support HR and recruitment on confidentiality and data security: for recruitees, for scientists.
- Provide confidential administrative support including: report creation and maintenance in preparation of HR meetings.
- You are in charge of enforcing application of policies and give all necessary feed-back to CEO in order to adapt policies as AMS keeps growing.
- Write, review and document policies in English, dispatch information to team.
- Support organisation of short sessions and workshops to make sure these rules are alive and evolve.
- Coordinate wiki articles, in particular about policies, on AMS´ wiki.
- Documentation of HR workflows and procedures.
Hard & soft skills
Do you share our vision and values?
Do you bring in?
MA, MSc in Human Resources, Legal, Ethics or Social Sciences, MBA.
Project management & coordination
- Prioritization and multitasking: you are efficient at work thanks to your ability to make the difference between what is important and what is urgent. You understand that some things are both important and urgent, and others are neither. You are able to manage multiple responsibilities at once by focusing on one task while keeping track of others. You can remain focused while switching back and forth between tasks and effectively performing different tasks rapidly one right after the other.
- Organisation and planning: you are able to break down and delegate tasks while keeping the overview on deadlines, dependencies and potential bottlenecks. You can execute complex sub-projects independently, and proactively report to your director.
- Adaptability and pro activity: you can spot potential problems and anticipate situations in details. You always take initiative to clarify situations and incomplete intel with colleagues or external partners. Especially when unplanned changes happen you quickly ask the relevant colleague(s) for targeted input, and iterate with your boss to re-prioritize.
Critical thinking and analytical mind
- Ability to research legal and business information on management request, in order to write and present synthetic reports to support efficient decision making.
- You are a quick learner, aware of both the big picture and the small details, you immediately pin down inconsistencies in projects, situations or procedures.
- You quickly get an overview of organisational and business-related impacts when involved in a technical/scientific discussion, even without previous knowledge.
- You are familiar with the concepts of confidential employee, managerial and business information.
- You identify data and sensitive information that requires handling with discretion. You ensure that you only disclose confidential information to those who need to know.
- You always take steps to protect records containing such sensitive information, by passwords, a thoughtful archiving or encryption.
- High degree of trustworthiness and loyalty to the CEO´s of the company and with customers data.
- Empathy and active listening: you enter communication not simply to reply but to understand what they experience from their perspective, and ask targeted questions to confirm and complete intel, in order to find the best action path.
- Flexibility and emotional balance: you’re expected to communicate with a diverse set of stakeholders and adapt your style accordingly to reach the next step.
- Clarity and concision: while reporting to management, or delegating work to employees and contractors, you are able to explain concepts thoroughly and concisely to keep everyone updated. You communicate clearly and enough to make sure they do the job: inform and check, control. Your email and written communication is sharp, contains all required information and is showing courtesy.
• You are committed to reduce the carbon footprint at work and care about the planet.
• You share AMS´s comprehensive understanding of ethics: honesty, integrity, promise keeping, loyalty, fairness, concern for others, law-abidingness applies both to colleagues and customers.
- Intercultural awareness: our customers and teams come from all over the world. Thus, it is important to be able to adapt to different mentalities and cultural contexts.
- Management of limits: workload or colleagues, you know when to put limits including to your-self. You have no problems with reminding other of their own duties, deadlines, and common company policies. You avoid burn-out.
What we offer:
a workplace to shape your future
We are a small family business with short communication paths. The impact of your work is immediately visible and directly supports other team members.
We aim to provide a professional environment in which people from all over the world at different stages of their lives can find the work-life balance that suits them.
Because we care about our employees, our customers’ needs, scientific progress and the planet, working at AMS does have a meaning.
• Flexible work time management around core hours
• Free organic coffee & teas, fresh fruits
• Resilient, organic garden with a planter where employees can grow their own fruits and vegetables
• A quiet workplace with the quality of a living space (not open plan offices)
• Part-time work for some of the positions
• Job specific training
• Yearly: 28 days paid leave (full time based) + about 10 days public holidays
• Equal opportunity policy
• Help with settling in if you are located outside Germany
What about recruitment at Avant-garde Materials Simulation?
Avant-garde Materials Simulation Deutschland is an equal opportunities recruiter: your application is welcome regardless of your age, gender, ethnic origin, disabilities or religion/beliefs.
What matters most to us, beyond your skills and experience, is your mindset. Tell us more about your philosophy at work and your soft skills in your application form under Your Motivation-s.
Discover AMS´mind set. Sharing common values is the basis for a diverse and happy Team!
• Step 1: Fill-in Application Form, and you get notified in case of successful completion.
• Step 2: Pre-screening of candidates by AMS Human Resources, and you get notified about early rejection, or Step 3.
• Step 3: You are invited to take some hard and soft-skills tests, and you get notified about rejection, or Step 4.
• Step 4: Remote interview, and you get notified about rejection, or Step 5.
• Step 5: On-site day in Freiburg: series of hands-on tests and interviews with AMS Management and the concerned Department.
• Step 6: Decision on job offer, you get notified within 2 weeks.
Overview open positions
Why should you work for us?